27-29 April: Films + street food = yum
I haven’t been before but I’ve heard news of a certain film festival happening in April. This year the Henley International Film Festival has chosen to celebrate food in film so not only are they saying there will be “3 days of the best food cinema” but also “the best of international street food on the banks of the river Thames.” This is good news for LSF.
I won’t go into a huge amount of detail about the events (you can learn about the food demonstrations, mobile vintage cinema, nightly water wall projection and the nosh cube here). Instead, I want to focus on the street food lineup as there will be over 30 vendors. Yay!
I haven’t tried all of these just yet as many are based up north but here are a few goodies:
- Bhangra Burger (see the Sellers page). Grab a Mighty Masala Fish and a lassi before anyone else can. Twitter @BhangraBurger
- The Taco Truck: Taco man Henning has a hot new sauce coming out soon but he’ll also be doing a taco demo at 2pm on the Friday at HIFF. tacotruck.co.uk
- Ginger’s Comfort Emporium – described as an “ice cream van for grown ups,” her pear and espresso or lemon and grappa flavours helped her win Best Dessert at the British Street Food Awards 2011. gingerscomfortemporium.com
- Westlands BBQ – pulled pork and free range sausages from a steam train, anyone? Check ’em out: westlands-bbq.co.uk
- Squid and Pear – oh so delicious sea food and BBQ fish from Putney-based sisters, Claire and Lisa. @SquidandPear (you’ll see them again on LSF before long)
And there are plenty more including The Sea Cow’s fresh fish, La Barca’s paella, Lemon Jelli’s crepes and pizza from Jalopy Pizza.
Info: 11am Friday 27th April – 9pm Sunday 29th April, Mill Meadow, Henley-on-Thames (trains about an hour from Paddington) £10 pp/day ticket; £15/2 days; £25/3 days
I think I’m going to make a weekend of it. Anyone keen?
p.s. thank you for the kind comments, everyone. I promise to reply soon to them if I haven’t already.